What Does It Mean to be a Member of Lakewood Congregational Church?
It means to be part of a fellowship of Christians.
- We believe that God’s love for us was most clearly revealed in Jesus Christ, who is the head of the church.
- We believe that the God revealed to us by Jesus is the Creator, and has created us in the very image of God.
- We believe that God continues to sustain, strengthen and guide us by the presence of the Holy Spirit in all the situations of our lives.
- We celebrate our unity in Christ despite our wonderfully varied backgrounds and perspectives and exclude no one.
- We welcome all regardless of race, gender, age, color, national or cultural background, sexual orientation or economic status.
- We seek neither a rigid doctrine nor an uncritical acceptance of any point of view. Instead, we challenge one another to a life of faithfulness to Christ and to God’s Word, as God’s Spirit teaches and leads us.
- We gather for worship to celebrate God’s love and goodness; give thanks for God’s blessings; receive guidance and direction for their lives through Scripture sermon and music; dedicate themselves to the service of God; and to be empowered for the doing of God’s will in the world.
- We welcome all into our fellowship! Because we are convinced that all persons are loved by God, regardless of race, age, gender or origin.
- We care for and accept one another, and reach out to those who need our help.
- We have as one of our priorities the instruction of children, youth and adults in Christian faith and values, enabling them to transform the world in which they live.
- We are called to minister to each other, and to others around us. Some of us are called to serve by using a special training in pastoral services, but each one of us is a “minister”, and shares responsibility for the life and mission of our church by the giving of our time, abilities, and money.
- We believe that both the sacrament of Baptism and the sacrament of Holy Communion, distinctive marks of people who follow Jesus Christ, play a central and important part in the life of the church.
- We are involved in Christ’s wider church through shared ministry with local and national mission and outreach.
Interested in learning more about becoming a member? Contact the LCC office at (216) 221-9555.