History Of Lakewood Congregational Church
Religious Center is the Disciple Church
Congregational families held prayer meetings at the homes of Lawrence Bramley, the Wright’s, the Eddy’s and the Hoffman’s.
Rev. William C. Detling conducted meetings to appeal to the Congregational City Missionary Society of Cleveland for help in establishing a Lakewood Congregational Church.
December 8, 1905
At the home of Charles E. Newell, the First Congregational Church of Lakewood, Ohio was formally organized by 27 charter members.
First Congregational Church
December 21, 1905
At the Disciple Church (Detroit and Park Row), the new church was received into the Congregational fellowship.
Rev. Dan F. Bradley, the new Pastor of Pilgrim Church, preached the sermon.
Rev. LeRoy Royce, Moderator, assumed the care of the church until a pastor was called.
April 1906 – 1908
The Reverend Benjamin A. Williams.
34 members, 48 Sunday School attendees
The Chapel 1906-1915
The Reverend Ross W. Sanderson
Organized young people. Church grew.
The Reverend Edgar E. Scovill
Church grew to 82 members and 152 Sunday School attendees
The Reverend George LeGrand Smith
January 6, 1913
Building Committee began work toward a new church
W. H. Nicklas chosen to be architect
March 28, 1915
August 8, 1915
November 12 – 16, 1916
Cost of church $100,000
LCC Congregation – 1915
1917 – 1939
The Reverend Roy E. Bowers
1917 – 364 members
1939 – 1,086 members
Lakewood Historical Pageant
During the Depression the Social Hall promoted Christian Fellowship.
The Reverend Everett W. MacNair, PhD.
January 7, 1947
Mortgage Burning Ceremony
Cleaveland Cross, Edward C. Smith, Merrell M. Brammer, Everett MacNair, Fred Hern, Rev. B.A. Williams, John G. Terbeek, J.B. Meriam
The Reverend Dr. George E. Drew
Building Extension 1950’s
1955 – Golden Anniversary
The Reverend Donald W. Morgan
The Reverend Lyman G. Farrar, D. Min. Pastor Emeritus
The Reverend A. Dale Stohre
Rev. Pamela Cheney
Associate Minister LCC 1998-2002
Jaeckel Organ Installed in Chapel
The Reverend Mark E. Thomas
Rev. Joanna D’Agostino