History of Lakewood Congregational Church

 

Lakewood 1905
Religious Center is the Disciple Church
Congregational families held prayer meetings at the homes of Lawrence Bramley, the Wright’s, the Eddy’s and the Hoffman’s.

Rev. William C. Detling conducted meetings to appeal to the Congregational City Missionary Society of Cleveland for help in establishing a Lakewood Congregational Church.

December 8, 1905
At the home of Charles E. Newell, the First Congregational Church of Lakewood, Ohio was formally organized by 27 charter members.
First Congregational Church

December 21, 1905
At the Disciple Church (Detroit  and Park Row), the new church was received into the Congregational fellowship.
Rev. Dan F. Bradley, the new Pastor of Pilgrim Church, preached the sermon.
Rev. LeRoy Royce, Moderator, assumed the care of the church until a pastor was called.

April 1906 – 1908
The Reverend Benjamin A. Williams.
34 members, 48 Sunday School attendees

The Chapel 1906-1915
Temporary Chapel

1908-1909
The Reverend Ross W. Sanderson
Organized young people. Church grew.

1910-1911
The Reverend Edgar E. Scovill
Church grew to 82 members and 152 Sunday School attendees

1912-1917
The Reverend George LeGrand Smith

January 6, 1913
Building Committee began work toward a new church
W. H. Nicklas chosen to be architect

March 28, 1915
Basement completed

August 8, 1915
Corner-stone laid

November 12 – 16, 1916
Cost of church $100,000
Church dedicated
Membership 270
LCC Congregation – 1915

1917 – 1939
The Reverend Roy E. Bowers

LCC Grows
1917 – 364 members
1939 – 1,086 members

1934 Events
Lakewood Historical Pageant
During the Depression the Social Hall promoted Christian Fellowship.

1939-1948
The Reverend Everett W. MacNair, PhD.

Membership grows
1086 (1939)
1283 (1947)

January 7, 1947
Mortgage Burning Ceremony

Cleaveland Cross, Edward C. Smith, Merrell M. Brammer, Everett MacNair, Fred Hern, Rev. B.A. Williams, John G. Terbeek, J.B. Meriam

1949-1970
The Reverend Dr. George E. Drew

Ground-Breaking Ceremony
Building Extension 1950’s
Addition Underway

1955 – Golden Anniversary

1971-1978
The Reverend Donald W. Morgan

1979-1994

The Reverend Lyman G. Farrar, D. Min. Pastor Emeritus

1995-2000

The Reverend A. Dale Stohre
Senior Minister

Rev. Pamela Cheney
Associate Minister LCC 1998-2002

Jaeckel Organ Installed in Chapel

2004- to Present
The Reverend Mark E. Thomas